Friday, July 3, 2009

Twelfth Night

Last night I saw Twelfth Night (hence the no posting) and the whole Shakespeare In The Park thing is the best thing since sliced bread. Sitting outside watching these performers bring the Bard into modern day New York City is just hard to wrap my head around. It's like a concert at Jones Beach- sitting outside makes everything better! Anne Hathaway was simply a delight and has one of the best Shakespearean tongues ever (yes, it is indeed it's own language). Everything about the production is so well done and has been worked on so meticulously that it is 99% perfect. What is the 1% that bothered me you ask? I absolutely hate when people crack up at every line just to prove to their fellow audience members that they understand Shakespeare's jokes. We get it. You understand the irony and the humor of the 1500s. I'm sure the actors enjoy it but to me it's a desperate cry for recognition. Luckily the couple next to me were certainly not Shakespeare snobs as they should be called. Right before intermission, the man turns to his wife and says "Who's that guy!? And who's with him!?" He was talking about Andrew and Olivia's Uncle, Sir Toby- characters that had been in much of the play already. Those are the kind of people I enjoy watching these sorts of things with. Also- the people that laugh at the word "bosom" are pretty entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment