Friday, October 16, 2009

Deborah Kerr ... September 30th, 1921 - October 16th, 2007

In another addition of Oscar-October, in which I write about Oscar nominees and winners who were born/died in October, I remember legendary actress and six-time Oscar nominee Deborah Kerr. Her nominations were for Edward, My Son (1949), From Here to Eternity (1953), The King and I (1956), Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957), Separate Tables (1958) and lastly The Sundowners (1960). Also essential to Kerr viewing- 1957's An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant.

One of my favorite films ever is From Here to Eternity, but I don't think Deborah Kerr deserved to win for it over Audrey Hepburn. However, I think Kerr should have emerged victorious in 1956 for her work in The King and I, even though she was dubbed my Marni Nixon. Of the three Marni dubs (Kerr, Wood, and Hepburn), Kerr is the only one to then win a nomination, and rightly so. Also included in Oscar-October so far has been her King and I co-star Yul Brynner, who actually won the little golden guy for his role in the film. What are your thoughts on Kerr? Should she have been an actual winner of an Academy Award, or was six nominations enough? Please, comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment