Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ingmar Bergman

I just saw one of the most disturbing scenes of all time. Actually, a few of the most disturbing scenes the movies have ever brought us. But not "disturbing" in a bad, Hostel Part II way. No, what I just watched was Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers.

And, to be honest, Harriet Andersson's portrayal of a cancer-stricken woman is more unsettling than any horror movie could ever be. How anybody could go there (the breathing, the confused looks of "I don't want to die, or live like this," the constant melancholy) in acting? And how can a director possibly push an actor to those frighteningly realistic places?




The red, the close-ups of each sister (and, of course, loyal, loyal Anna), it's all so memorable and... creepy. But once again not bad creepy. The good kind of creepy.

Have you seen Cries and Whispers? If not, did this encourage or discourage you to see it? I mean, I am trying to recommend it but it's hard to flat out say "you'll love it!"

Also, tomorrow begins a new brief feature.. "The Ten Days of Madonna," where I'll give you my ten favorite Madonna singles up until her 52nd birthday, August 16th!

5 comments:

  1. I was going to see it...

    It does sound creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds interesting, but somewhat disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon and Joe - It's one of those films you'll be glad that you have seen. But there were some parts with Hariett Andersson (and the actress who played the sister Karin) which were intense. But good? It's hard to describe hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this movie and am so glad that someone is writing about Bergman I'm going to link it in my link post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mike! I've seen Persona.. maybe I should write something up about that.

    ReplyDelete