Thursday, February 18, 2010

Best Performances of the Decade

I just had to share this video of a few actors' favorite performances of the past ten years...





In case this doesn't work, here's the link. And special thanks to In Contention for showing me first!

It's funny to see which actors choose which performances.

Nepotism
Jake Gyllenhaal chose all of Peter Sarsgaard's performances of the last ten years. I agree that he was phenomenal, but he's not my brother-in-law. I can't argue the validity of his statement. Sarsgaard is incredibly underrated, but it does seem a little odd to choose from your family. Ah well, at least somebody's giving him the recognition he deserves.

Tobey Maguire, good ol' buddy to Shutter Island star Leonardo DiCaprio, chose Leo's performance in The Aviator as the best. Yet again, no arguing from me about the value of Leo's amazing performance in the film, but it is odd that Maguire and Gyllenhaal chose their buddies/family.

Foreign Language
Woody Harrelson opted for Ulrich Muhe in The Lives of Others. If you haven't seen that, then IMMEDIATELY place it on your queue. It's not to be missed. I never would have though of Harrelson as somebody who would sit through The Lives of Others, it's weird isn't it?

George Clooney chose Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose. He's somebody I could see loving foreign cinema, but I am surprised that he chose this performance as one of the best of the decade. I honestly thought he would have picked something much more unknown.

She does it herself!
Julianne Moore hailed Sean Penn's work in Mystic River as one of the best of the decade. She loved how he humanized the grief of his character. This is coming from the woman who practically wrote the book on breakdowns in movies. If anything, Penn looked at Moore's work in Boogie Nights in order to do his role in Mystic River.


What do you think of the actors' choices? I thought it was pretty cool seeing these actors praise each other (I mean, outside of the Academy Awards, SAG Awards, Emmys...).

What are your favorite performances of the decade? Any actor you wish could have done this interview? Shocked by any of the choices? Do share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment