Sunday, December 27, 2009

Wow!

Last post of the decade...wow!

These are my WOW! moments of the decade. They could be good or bad... let's see. (The number of runners-up varies, but I'll try to limit it to five!)

The Wow! I want to see more of you! award goes to...

Anne Hathaway - The Princess Diaries

Who didn't want to see more of Anne Hathaway after The Princess Diaries? She's fun, she's cute, she's enjoyable. The best part of Anne Hathaway is that you can tell she's having a good time. She's not one of these mopers that complains about fame or paparazzi or whatever. She's just a joy. And talented.

Runners-up:



Amy Adams in Junebug
Keira Knightley in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Carey Mulligan in An Education
Jamie Bell in Billy Elliot
Anna Kendrick in Up in the Air

Too many others to name! What a good decade for break-outs that (seem to) have potential.


The Wow! I want to see less of you! award goes to...

TIE!
Megan Fox - Transformers and Paul Giamatti - Every film he is in


Megan Fox- Yuck! I can't see what other guys see in her looks-wise. And I can see what everyone else sees in her acting wise: nothing. Zip. Zero personality, stale line reading, a total and utter bore. Everything Anne Hathaway is, Megan Fox is not.


Paul Giamatti- I cannot describe the pain you bring to me when you act on screen. It's either your innate annoyingness or some Paul Giamatti character you're putting on that makes me ill. Please, leave the next decade alone!

Runners-up:
Orlando Bloom in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Hayden Panettiere in Heroes and I Love You, Beth Cooper


The Wow! ensemble in a film award goes to...

The cast of Moulin Rouge!

In a movie that could have been downright silly, this cast, including Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor at their absolute best, makes this film a drama, a musical, a romance for the ages. Kudos!

Runners-up:
The casts of...
Chicago
The Aviator
Adaptation.
Juno

Up in the Air

The Wow! male performance in a film (lead/supporting) award goes to...

Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Johnny Depp was always a kooky kind of guy, but the films he were in were never kooky enough (in the right way). That is until he landed the role of Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean. This was the vehicle Johnny Depp needed all along to show us how funny and offbeat he was as an actor. Here's looking at you, Johnny.





Runners-up:
George Clooney in Up in the Air
Nicolas Cage in Adaptation.
Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge!
Sean Penn in Milk

Sorry supporting men, you just didn't do it for me. Better luck next decade (if this blog is still even around!).


The Wow! female performance in a film (lead/supporting) award goes to

Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge!

Not a huge surprise here I'm sure, but I don't care. Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge! is to the aughts as Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice was to the '80s or Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind was to the '30s. It's that good. It's the performance many will look back on to define the '00s as a decade in film.

Runners-up:
Renee Zellweger in Chicago
Julianne Moore in Far From Heaven
Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada
Carey Mulligan in An Education
Penelope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Kate Hudson in Almost Famous

So many runners-up! I know I said there would be 5 runners-up, but these were all too good to pass up!


The Wow! I laugh at this (in a good way) every time I see it award goes to...

Mean Girls

Without a doubt the best comedy of the decade, Mean Girls will always be the definitive high school film from this decade. End of story. I'm not posting any runners-up, Regina George wouldn't like that.


My own All That Film Awards for the year 2009 will be up on February 6th, 2010. If the date changes, I'll keep you posted! Before that, here's a 2010 preview of the blog...

A revised list of the best films of the decade!
Oscar coverage, including predictions and desires!
Golden Globes coverage! I find these awards to be the most fun, don't you?
Random musings on actresses!
Hopefully some more reviews on here!
Thoughts on any Broadway shows I see!


No comments:

Post a Comment